Experienced Insurance Defense Representation
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. family immigration
  4.  » How can I legally bring my spouse to live in the U.S.?

How can I legally bring my spouse to live in the U.S.?

If you are an immigrant who lives in Baton Rouge, it can be difficult to live in a new country without your family being close by. Here is what you need to know about how you can bring your spouse to live with you in the United States as a permanent resident.

According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you must either have a green card or be a U.S. citizenship in order to bring your spouse into the country. In all circumstances, you will need to provide all the required supporting documentation. This can include birth certificates, passports and marriage certificates. If you have been married for less than two years, your spouse’s status as a permanent resident may be conditional. You can apply to have the condition removed prior to the approval’s expiration.

If your spouse is already living in the U.S. and you are a citizen, you only need to fill out and submit the proper paperwork. If you are a green card holder and your spouse is living in the U.S., you must submit a form for your spouse and then once a visa becomes available, submit an application to change your spouse’s status to permanent resident.

If your spouse is not currently living in the country, the same paperwork as above will need to be submitted. However, it will then be sent to the proper consulate or embassy for processing. This is provided as general information on this topic and is not intended as legal advice.